• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Communicating With Dementia

Communicating with dementia patients can be very difficult. People suffering from dementia can't always tell you what's wrong or what they need. They can be unpredictable and even lash out at times. The tips below will help you communicate with people suffering from dementia or Alzheimer's.

1. Assist With Toileting Needs- A person with dementia may have trouble communicating their bladder is full or that they are constipated. Assisting them with a regular toileting schedule can ensure this isn't the cause of agitation. Simply asking them if they need to go can often trigger them to remember to use the bathroom.

2. Check Pain Level- Pain is often the cause of agitation and behavior issues for someone suffering from dementia. You may ask them if they're in pain, and many times they will say "No." But if you notice grimacing or rubbing a joint or their stomach, often times they are in pain. It can be almost impossible to communicate with a dementia patient who is pain. It is important to treat this pain appropriately with medications, rest, or various other methods.

3. Check Their Hunger- A person with dementia may not always know they're hungry, or they may not remember how to ask for something to eat. Asking the person if they're hungry or simply offering a snack at routine intervals can help prevent behavior issues caused from hunger.

4. Hot or Cold- You may notice your patient or loved one is pacing a lot and very agitated. Check their temperature by feeling their skin. Are they hot or cold? It is not uncommon for a patient with dementia to put on multiple layers of clothes, or barely any clothes. Thus they may become very hot or cold quickly and not realize they need a jacket or to remove some layers of clothes. Even if they appear to be dressed appropriately, checking their temperature by feeling their skin will tell you if they are too hot or too cold.

5. Infection- Often times a dementia patient will exhibit behavioral issues and agitation without any apparent reason. An infection can cause major behavior changes and agitation, and there may be no other symptoms. If you're trying to communicate with a dementia patient, and there isn't anything that is working to calm them, it may be time for the doctor to check that patient. A urinary tract infection is one of the major causes of behavior changes in dementia patients.

Remember to try all these methods when you're having difficulty communicating or taking care of a dementia sufferer. It will help you, and them maintain a safe and effective relationship.

For more great tips and tricks to communicate with dementia patients visit https://healdove.com/older-adults/Communication-And-Dementia

Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Jennifer_Pierce/1031331

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9751428

Pretty spot-on advice here. I do all of these checks with my mother multiple times a day. It's very difficult to communicate when she's in a mood, but it's important to find out the real cause behind it to solve the problem. Anything they can't tell you is wrong will set them off, so there is a bit of guesswork involved, sadly, but take the time find it out, it is important to you and important to your loved one to treat whatever it is that is causing them problems, even if it's just that they're hungry.

I'm not so sure about that, but I try! She's my mother, she deserves at least that much, because without her I wouldn't be here!

I had a relative who suffered from dementia. Her memories seem to have stuck on a certain point in her life. She knew everything about that part of life but did not know anything else. I also have relatives who are in the early stage of dementia.

Very correct, someone suffering from dimentia often suffer loss of memory, agitating off points, due to the negative behavioural changes which the victim is battling with.