• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Alcohol

Do you feel comfortable with alcohol while under medication ? Do they conflict with each other ? Most meds from a mental wellness point of view try to smooth us down. I think alcohol does the opposite of it. Some doctors consider an affinity to alcohol as a disease in itself.

But sometimes it is not fair. Because there are people who cannot live without it.

I personally don't drink, as I'm on an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication which also makes me drowsy. I didn't drink much before I was on the medication either.

I was also previously married to an alcoholic, so alcohol is something I personally resent.

I've always been a minimal drinker. I like a Crown&7 of an evening out by the fire pit. Although today it's Crown & 7-zero. Used to be a coupla beers of an evening but can't have any carbs anymore.

I've never been a drinker in my life - I would say only a shot or two have ever passed my lips. I grew up living in a pub (as my dad owned one) so I've spent my life seeing drunk people and what they do. Such sights have led me to never want to drink and get myself into such a state as I've seen others - just how I roll! If I was on medication though, I certainly wouldn't be mixing.

It is hard to resent some social habit. It is nice to know that many of you are capable of such a high level of self-restraint. Medicines keep people sleepy all the time. One of the major medication techniques is to mildly sedate the subjects so that they not capable of too much thinking or going to emotional overdrive.

What about lighter drinks ? Anyone try that when they are going through a medicine dose ? There are so many health drinks that are high on alcohol. Are they healthy ? Enough to keep us from consuming the real alcohol ?

Doctors normally do not allow relying on alcohol. If I am not wrong, almost all rehabs have a big BAN tag on them.