• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Question What's the healthiest way to get stronger?

With my toddler quickly growing, I want to keep up with her and be able to pick her up and three blocks if I ever need to without being extremely winded. I just want to be stronger in general. Building muscle is key right? What should I focus on nutritionally and physically/exercise-wise? Any advice?

Start slow is my advice. Walk every day and if you have a step counter, that can help keep you on track. My goal is 10,000 steps daily but you might start off with 2,500 and then build up each week.

As far as eating, try to choose foods that aren't out of a box and I know that's hard with a toddler around. It's far too easy to resort to something quick but those quick foods aren't as healthy for you and add on extra sodium and carbs.

Good for you for starting young! Real food can help the body & mind become stronger. Not being inactive. Some computer & TV time is fine, but to build a healthy body, we need physical activity. Kids today don't get out & play. They need to get dirty to help build up the immune system. The whole body is connected so if you eat real food, get fresh air, & are active, you will naturally be stronger.

I am not a nutritionist nor a health expert to give any one advise on what to eat and what to avoid and what to do in order to get fitness. But in my own little way, it is best to engage in routine fitness exercises to free up the workload, the weak muscles, eat more of vitamin rich foods to help you build your immune stronger to stay healthy.

I am a basketball coach, you've got to figure out your limits first. So start with bodyweight, aka push ups and exercise of that kind. Now if that's too easy, then you've got some muscle on you and need to lift heavier. Don't want to waste money? Grab big water bottles fill them up with water, and do some exercises with those. Watch what you eat, I can't go too detailed into nutrition, but try to avoid anything that makes you feel bloated or sleepy (Try out different foods you'll find your way). Other than that run, that's really a good way to stay in shape.

There is so much information at our fingertips on good health and strength, just do smart things and you will be ok. Don't baby yourself but don't push yourself too hard either.