• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Should I be trying harder to stop my partner going to work when there's a possible COVID case in our household?

Feel like I'm in limbo at the moment. Me and my partner are living with my parents due to various reasons. My dad came home from work today with a fever, and my expectation was that my partner would be informing his own work, and his shifts would be covered until my dad takes a COVID-19 test and receives the results.

But my partner works for Costa Coffee, and they put pressure on staff to work even when they have symptoms. This morning for instance, his colleague went in and worked for 2 hours before they went for their booked test slot, because nobody would cover them and the area managers won't allow the shop to be closed because they lose £££. So he's planning on going into work, even though there's a possible case of COVID-19 in his household. If my dad *is* a positive case, then we all probably have it too, which means my partner could be infecting his colleagues and every customer (if he hasn't already), all because Costa Coffee have always cared more about money than their staff and customers.

I'm disappointed in him. He says he can't afford to lose wages if my dad's test is a negative. He's focusing on the fact that my dad ONLY has a fever, and that for the past couple of years around this time of year my dad has been taken out by a 24-hour fever which is usually sorted after a Lemsip and a good night's sleep.

I can't stop thinking about the What Ifs though. Do I just let this happen? I can't control him, but should I be trying harder?

Hello @s_still_here

How selfish of Costa to expect their employers to work, It is a Pandemic and it shouldn't be allowed but like you say it's all about money so they don't care about anything else. If your partner does have it then like you say he could pass it on to his colleagues and customers.

I thought if any household had symptoms anyway then we have to isolate. I can't keep up with the rules but I know it was the case.

I think a lot of businesses are doing the same. There was an Iceland shop near me that has now been shut down because staff who were instructed to isolate after a positive test were found working there again 3 days later, with the managers trying to persuade the inspectors to turn a blind eye. I suppose they're trying to save the companies from going into administration, but it's shocking how they are willing to put their staff and customers in danger in the process. To be honest Costa Coffee's not a great employer at the best of times, even though they put out this public image like they care for their staff... it's all PR.

I think you're correct, if somebody has symptoms then everybody in their household must isolate unless they test negative. I've just been so angry with how selfish some people have been during this pandemic, and then my own partner feels like he has no choice but to work if he wants to pay his bills. I feel like a bit of a hypocrite from being so vocal about following the advice of scientists (not politicians), and now I'm faced with this dilemma where I feel responsible for somebody else's actions. :/

I think a lot of businesses are doing the same. There was an Iceland shop near me that has now been shut down because staff who were instructed to isolate after a positive test were found working there again 3 days later, with the managers trying to persuade the inspectors to turn a blind eye. I suppose they're trying to save the companies from going into administration, but it's shocking how they are willing to put their staff and customers in danger in the process. To be honest Costa Coffee's not a great employer at the best of times, even though they put out this public image like they care for their staff... it's all PR.

I think you're correct, if somebody has symptoms then everybody in their household must isolate unless they test negative. I've just been so angry with how selfish some people have been during this pandemic, and then my own partner feels like he has no choice but to work if he wants to pay his bills. I feel like a bit of a hypocrite from being so vocal about following the advice of scientists (not politicians), and now I'm faced with this dilemma where I feel responsible for somebody else's actions. :/
I think if the business more or less tells the employee to work then they should be looked at and possibly prosecuted.
We will never beat this Pandemic the way people are being so selfish :( I think the Pandemic has brought the worse out of people unfortunately.

Oh my goodness it really has brought out the worst. I've seen so many people's true colours in the past year - I'm now officially done with them. I'm not going to kick up a fuss about it, but I won't be doing them any favours.

Oh my goodness it really has brought out the worst. I've seen so many people's true colours in the past year - I'm now officially done with them. I'm not going to kick up a fuss about it, but I won't be doing them any favours.
I have kicked up enough fuss during the Pandemic, People have really made me angry on how selfish they have been.
Don't blame anyone for kicking up a fuss so you rant away :)