• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Kid, I blew up the honey: fallout from nuclear bomb tests detected in US pots

Honey from several regions of the US shows traces of a radioactive element from nuclear testing that took place in the 1950s and 60s, according to a new study.

The study, published in Nature Communications, reported that 68 of 122 honey samples from Maine to Florida show varying amounts of cesium-137, a relic of bomb tests conducted during the cold war. The bombs were detonated by the US and the Soviet Union on American soil from Nevada and New Mexico, the Marshall Islands and the Russian Arctic archipelago Novaya Zemlya.

The prevailing winds brought the cesium eastwards, and the relics are still circulating in plants and animals 50 years later.

Jim Kaste, the lead author of the study, said that the levels of cesium-137 are not high enough to pose a threat to human health, meaning the honey remains “safe for consumption”.

“I’m not trying to tell people they shouldn’t eat honey. I feed my kids honey,” Kaste said. “I eat more honey now than I did when I started this project, ” Kaste said in a blogpost.

The study originally began in 2017 as a spring break assignment for members of a William & Mary freshman seminar. It aims to use the radiocesium found in honey as an indicator of atmospherically deposited contaminants and identifying modern pollution “hotspots”.

The cesium element is similar to potassium, which is heavily absorbed by plants. When soils lack potassium, the plants absorb what appears to be most similar, in this case cesium, passing it along through nectar to the bees.

Meanwhile, the study also notes that some regions in the US contain more cesium than others.

“While soils of the eastern US have a relatively narrow range of radiocesium today, concentrations in honey sourced from this region spanned nearly three orders of magnitude with far higher levels in the south-east,” reads the study published on 29 March.

The researchers also found that radiocesium levels had declined since the 1960s, but the reasons for it remain unclear. After the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, several researchers documented the presence of radiocesium in honey and pollen in European nations affected by fallout from the event.

“What we see today is a small fraction of the radiation that was present during the 1960s and 1970s,” said Kaste in the blogpost. “And we can’t say for sure if cesium-137 has anything to do with bee colony collapse or the decline of population.”

Continue reading...

Yeah, no doubt we are all eating toxic stuff. I'd rather not think about it. Of course, this could cause a lot of illness and more, but what can anyone do about it? It's impossible to truly stop it. Best thing is just to accept life is finite and enjoy what you have now.

I find it funny to see ads for fresh fruits and vegetables at many supermarkets, have you ever given it thought that most farmers now use some sort of chemical on all their crops? many of them claim no harm to humans.

I live in farm country and every one of them has signs up when they spray to keep away and keep your windows up while driving by, If this stuff is harmless why post all of the warnings?

I'm no farmer nor a scientist but it's a little scary thinking about what is in your food.