• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Dump-and-Bake Moo Shu Chicken

Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
30 mins
Total Time
40 mins

This Dump-and-Bake Moo Shu Chicken is a lighter, healthier version of the Chinese restaurant classic. With just one dish and about 10 minutes of prep,
it’s an easy dinner recipe that's even better than take-out!

Course: Dinner
Cuisine: Chinese
Keyword: moo shu chicken, moo shu chicken recipe
Servings: 4 - 6 people
Calories: 315 kcal
Author: Blair
Ingredients
list of 14 items
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins or breasts, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
2 bags (8.5 ounces each) coleslaw mix (or 6-7 cups finely shredded cabbage)
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup less sodium soy sauce
¼ cup hoisin sauce plus extra for serving
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
½ teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons finely minced fresh garlic I like to use a squeeze bottle of minced garlic from the produce section as a shortcut
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
Optional garnish: sliced green onions; toasted sesame seeds
For serving: tortillas, rice, lettuce wraps, or cauliflower rice
list end
Instructions
list of 6 items
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a large baking dish (about 9 x 13 inches) with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Place diced chicken in a large Ziploc bag. Sprinkle the cornstarch into the bag, seal the bag, and toss to coat the chicken pieces.
3. Dump chicken into the prepared baking dish. Add cabbage and mushrooms, toss to combine.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, salt, garlic, and ginger. Pour sauce into dish and
stir.
5. Bake, uncovered, for a total of 30 minutes, stirring twice during the cooking time. Remove from the oven with the chicken is cooked through and the
sauce has thickened.
6. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with sliced green onions, sesame seeds, and an extra drizzle of hoisin sauce, if desired.
Serve with tortillas, rice, lettuce wraps or cauliflower rice.
list end
Recipe Notes
Write list…
• An authentic Moo Shu recipe includes scrambled eggs (similar to those that you find in fried rice). I have omitted the eggs here because I found that
they don't cook well in the sauce and they just give the dish a weird texture. If you want to add the eggs to your meal, I recommend cooking scrambled
eggs in a separate skillet on the stovetop and then stirring them into the Moo Shu Chicken at the end of the cooking time.• Use this same basic recipe
to prepare Moo Shu Shrimp! To do so, bake the vegetables in the moo shu sauce as instructed. Use 2 lbs. of shrimp instead of the chicken. Just be sure
to wait and add the shrimp to the baking dish during the final 15 minutes, since the shrimp will cook much faster than the chicken.• Please don’t try to
substitute a different oil for the sesame oil. The dinner just will NOT taste the same. Plus, you can find tiny little bottles of sesame oil in just about
any grocery store these days, and you’ll plow through it quickly with recipes like my
Peanut Sesame Noodles,
my
Garlic Sesame Chicken,
and my
One Skillet Egg Roll in a Bowl
!
Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving (1 /6 of the moo shu chicken and sauce)
Calories 315 Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5g 8%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Cholesterol 97mg 32%
Sodium 928mg 39%
Potassium 855mg 24%
Total Carbohydrates 31g 10%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Sugars 24g
Protein 35g 70%
Vitamin A 2.3%
Vitamin C 34.2%
Calcium 5.6%
Iron 8.5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
From the Seasoned Mom

_._,_._,_