• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Depression and Heart Disease

Depression can cause a lot of things and heart disease is one of them. I know a guy who started taking medicines for heart diseases when he started experiencing irregular heartbeat and a sudden rise in his blood pressure. One year on, his conditions did not improve. One day by visited a psychiatrist by chance and started medication for depression. Now he is perfectly fine, he does not take any medicines for heart diseases.

I think this could go hand in hand with broken heart disease? I heard that when people go into a deep depression due to a broken heart that they can actually cause damage to their heart. It's strange what the mind can do to the body!

That’s where I’m heading. Because of my depression and being inactive my blood pressure is really bad and anything that keeps your blood pressure up as bad. I tried going on blood pressure meds, but they make me feel so worse that I couldn’t leave my bed because of the side effects so with my doctor on board I quit and started to diet and exercise but I don’t know how long I will be ok for. I exercised for a week, it burnt me out, now all I do is sleep. My mum had the same high blood pressure and one day she just had complications and didn’t survive so that’s how I lost my mum and I think that’s what is going to happen to me, all from high blood pressure which leads to heart disease