• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Posting Party Things That Annoy You

Tons of things used to annoy me but not anymore since i learned that i am in control not outside things. I have power to choose to be annoyed or angered and just had to learn to make the choice that has the most benefit for me. But it can be hard at times especially when some dude pulls out in front of me or some other dangerous thing happens on the road. I used to cuss and raise hell and flip them off but now no i just keep my head and let it pass

When the commercial is louder than the tv show you've been watching. Grrr!
If you don't mind a dry explanation, I do audio production and know exactly what you're talking about with that and why. It's not our imagination.

TV shows produce their audio with far less compression, they want the viewer to invest him/herself some effort to keep attention on it, commercials use very high compression because they know you don't necessarily want to pay attention to them. Both use same volume unit levels, but the high compression of the commercials gives it a "louder" quality of aggressive attack/release in the waveform.

In the 90s I designed and built a circuit that detects this sudden compression change and then can be used to automatically mute the audio when it happens! I even hooked it up to my VCR to make it pause while recording when commercials come on. Worked sooooo well I thought about patenting it. (Electronics is another of my hobbies.)

But I was pretty sure only the consumer would think about buying, the TV and VCR makers certianly not. I also figured that if it did hit the market and got popular they would simply defeat it by disguising the waveform or reducing the compression a little bit making my device not necessarily pick up on the difference. I just kept it for myself and my amazed family and friends.

But yeah, this is the type of stuff I've been known to do when something annoys me enough.

Tons of things used to annoy me but not anymore since i learned that i am in control not outside things. I have power to choose to be annoyed or angered and just had to learn to make the choice that has the most benefit for me. But it can be hard at times especially when some dude pulls out in front of me or some other dangerous thing happens on the road. I used to cuss and raise hell and flip them off but now no i just keep my head and let it pass
I don't have the discipline to filter out annoyances, but I do make choices on how to react to them. I try to choose creation instead of destruction. Good post.

I could not do that before meds. It was probably 3-4 years ago when I last flipped off another driver who decided on a lane change from inside to outside lane on an 8 lane highway (4 each way) and nearly clipped my front fender. I also honked so the driver would look around and see me flipping the finger. Scared the crap out of me. Now it takes something really scary like that to get me to react.

I could not do that before meds. It was probably 3-4 years ago when I last flipped off another driver who decided on a lane change from inside to outside lane on an 8 lane highway (4 each way) and nearly clipped my front fender. I also honked so the driver would look around and see me flipping the finger. Scared the crap out of me. Now it takes something really scary like that to get me to react.
thats a acceptable reason to use the horn

personally it would take something dangerous to happen for me to use my horn

one thing that annoys me is when people dont consider the behaviour of the horse when deciding whether to go or not

for example: we have chickanes (spelling) down some of the roads that road users have to go round (some of them there is no point to, but thats a different matter)

these things: https://www.trafficchoices.co.uk/traffic-schemes/chicanes.shtml

One time, there was a horse coming towards my car, horse was tossing its head around and looked to me to be on the verge of panic, I slowed down and stopped (horse person had right of way cause of where the chickane was), lorry driver behind me decided it was okay to to pull round me, round the chickane, then went racing off, how the hell that did not scare the crap out of the horse i will never know

horse person did wave a thank you to me though

I am just the opposite i was unable to control myself at all while on the meds. Getting me off them has helped me more than anything