• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Hiding our condition

Do you think others should know that you are suffering from depression ? The main reason is people with depression do all sorts of standout things and people do not like it much. That will cause friction and it unnecessarily provokes the person with depression. In short, a simple, harmless act could grow so bad that it will end causing a lot of mayhem.

I think it's ok to only tell those you want to know or who might need to know, but it doesn't need to be something you announce to everyone at every opportunity, no. There's nothing wrong with keeping it private, it is a personal matter.

There's nothing wrong with keeping it private, it is a personal matter.

I think this is the best course of action for most people. I know about kindness, humanity etc. But people, in general, are rude and like to laugh at others. That is as human as anyone can get. That how we were a few centuries ago and I don't think much of it has changed in our genes.

It gives some a bit of pleasure to know that others are somewhat inferior.

I personally choose my friends carefully. I would never have someone in my inner circle who did not have a kind and loving heart. I am fortunate to have a few lifelong friends I can go to who are supportive and that's a two-way street.

Internet is a boon if we use it carefully. I like this forum, but Facebook is more fun. I know there are a lot of poisonous people on FB but if we refine it a bit, I knew gems. They are absolute fun as long as we do not give a lot of personal information.

Make sure not to involve in politics and religion based discussions. That is a real trap and we will fall for it.

I would never have someone in my inner circle who did not have a kind and loving heart.

I have some long time friends who know everything about me. I never tell them anything but they are from the same area so there is nothing much to hide. But none of them ever asked anything to me that would make me blush. Not even small little things which I might feel bad about.

But they do take every opportunity to pull my legs in a safe manner. No immunity there :D

I don't tell people about my depression when I first meet them but I do disclose later on. I try not to burden them too much with it though. I mostly just talk about my depression with my therapist.

I don't tell people about my depression when I first meet them

A wise decision. I would not think otherwise

but I do disclose later on.

Does it help ? How did it go for you so far ?

I try not to burden them too much with it though.

A big bow. Such a noble heart

I mostly just talk about my depression with my therapist.

Hopefully, that is helping you. I met a counselling person once. She admitted that she is not qualified but got into the job just like that.

I've found that not hiding anything can be really helpful for both yourself and others awareness. I wouldn't go so far to say that shouting about it as a good thing, but being open is a much quickly way to alleviate the stresses and worries of managing things without fearing people find out without you wanting them to.

I'm quite open and honest about my depression, I don't feel it's anything to be ashamed about and if anything I actually feel quite empowered to be able to share my fight. I also think that if I can perhaps help others to feel brave enough to speak up and seek help if they need it, then it's worth doing.. Power to the people! 🙂

I'm quite open and honest about my depression, I don't feel it's anything to be ashamed about and if anything I actually feel quite empowered to be able to share my fight. I also think that if I can perhaps help others to feel brave enough to speak up and seek help if they need it, then it's worth doing.. Power to the people! 🙂
That's great you are brave enough to be open and honest.

I mostly hide my mental health issues. I worry peopl may judge me.

People who do not know anything about depression would never fund out you have depression even though they might suspect that there is something wrong with you. People would know if you have depression only when they know what exactly is depression.

I can't hide depression no matter how hard I try. My wife picks up on it every single time I try to hide it. Which is good because she usually tries to talk me through it.