Personal Story Hard-Headed Texan finally learned to listen.

Pig Hip

TMH Site Tech
Reaction score
Big diet don't mean we can't eat. Just means high protein low carbs. Here's your redneck breakfast example from this morning. Yeah, the bread has carbs, but it's small and it's whole grain wheat. Might be 1 gram of carbs there. Cinnamon toast by the way, made with sweet-n-low instead of sugar! Tiny amount of carbs in the cheese. And no you may not have any.

I've lost 17lbs in 5 weeks.

ketobreakfast.jpg
This breakfast only spiked my blood sugar up to 129 an hour after eating. By two hours it was back down to about where it hovers, 111 or so.

Pig Hip

TMH Site Tech
Reaction score
That breakfast looks fantastic!
It was. The one today though was a bit lighter, one egg instead of two, no beef, and a small slice of ham instead! About the same little spike though, which... BG spikes happen to everyone when they eat.

Cinnamon is a diabetes fighter superfood by the way, and it's also loaded with antioxidants. More in 1 teaspoon of cinnamon than there is in a full cup of any fruit you can name.

PGen98

Giving Member
Reaction score
It was. The one today though was a bit lighter, one egg instead of two, no beef, and a small slice of ham instead! About the same little spike though, which... BG spikes happen to everyone when they eat.
Yep, sends it up for a little bit, but for someone well regulated it'll go back down again quickly.

Heh. Looks like something you could eat?
Happily! I try to make as many different meals as I can, so experimenting is always a big part of my routine, might have to give that one a go sometime.

Pig Hip

TMH Site Tech
Reaction score
Happily! I try to make as many different meals as I can, so experimenting is always a big part of my routine, might have to give that one a go sometime.
I'm putting my grilled chicken lunch from earlier in the recipe book right now. Might do that breakfast as well, later on.

PGen98

Giving Member
Reaction score
Love it, I'm always open to trying new things, so I'll give them both a once over!

Pig Hip

TMH Site Tech
Reaction score
250lbs now, for the last four measurements. 20lbs lost so far. (actually 22 officially from my cardiologist's March measure)

Blood sugar spikes aren't happening any more, seldom do I see a number any higher than 120, one hour after a meal. It's in the low to mid 100s ranges, two hours after. It's in the 90s, first thing in the morning upon awakening. The old target of 140, two hours after a meal, seems a distant memory now. Next A1C test is scheduled for June 15th. I want to see something like 5.5.

As typical for someone in dietary ketosis, I am having a bit of a bowel issue, a little bit of constipation. System still not adjusted to the carb-free diet and is having a bit of trouble metabolizing fat. From all I have read this is typical and usually, gradually goes away as internal adjustments get made.

Still eating very well - I discovered ground chicken and ground turkey breast and have added little chicken and turkey burger steaks to breakfast and dinner! I also rediscovered a childhood favorite - spinach! I'm snacking on tuna pouches and steamed baby carrots, for lunch. My cats enjoy sharing these lunches with me. It's become an anticipated event in my home - no interest in the baby carrots for them though.

There have been no slip-ups, no backsliding, no failures to follow the regimen whatsoever. Once my mind is made up and I have determined a course, I can be quite disciplined and rigid. Doesn't mean I don't yearn for one of my sourdough donuts when I see them there waiting for me, calling my name, when I open the chest freezer to get something else out. I get a bit of flutter inside when I see potatoes at the store, and some other stuff I can't have.

My neighbor I gave the beers to? I see him out now, every morning for the last couple of weeks, speed-walking up and down the country dirt road that splits our properties, and chuckle. Must have made the mistake of telling his wife what the beer gift was all about. Makes me miss having a few beers of an evening. Hopefully he is "woke" to his own good health and well-being now. I'll stop him and ask him sometime, if he keeps it up.

But, my willpower remains unshaken despite all the temptations and yearnings. The urine ketone tests keep assuring me that I am still burning fat every hour of every day. Averaging between 15 and 35 mg/dl on those tests. Keeps me encouraged as does the steady weight loss, which has slowed somewhat in rate but keeps going down. It's not sustainable or healthy to suddenly be dropping weight, it needs to be slow and steady. It took 20 years to get this extra 75lbs on my frame, it's going to take time and it should, to get rid of it.

I'm getting an exercise bike to add to the walks around my acreage, I am feeling much better and have been much more active lately but still want to take on more exercise slowly, not ready yet to think about hitting the gym.

It's rewarding and it feels good, to keep on keeping on. Steady progress.

Pig Hip

TMH Site Tech
Reaction score
Well.... Trying to survive and hoping I can encourage or help others. If it was just "trying to survive" there would be no point in posting about it.

Pig Hip

TMH Site Tech
Reaction score
Tuesday I cut my right forefinger pretty deeply, on a piece of flashing while working on a buddy's HVAC system. Fairly clean cut, it ran almost a quarter-inch deep. I just closed it up and wrapped it with a piece of duct tape, and went on with my work. Later at home I treated it properly with disinfecting and cleaning and proper bandaging.

One of the problems diabetics have is, slow healing of wounds. I am happy to report this cut is already totally healed, as if nothing ever happened. Four days to complete heal. And not even a scar. It almost seems I am not (really) diabetic. I believe my situation was more like insulin resistance caused by years of flooding my system with carbs, starches and sugars. The cells close up and don't allow insulin in. It looks like I'm slowly breaking down that resistance.

Pig Hip

TMH Site Tech
Reaction score
After a slip-up, I am back on track. About two weeks ago I decided I wanted a cup of coffee so I brewed some up, and without thinking I put my French Vanilla creamer in my cup. A cup which was sooooo good, I decided to have another.

It wasn't until the jitters started that I thought to read the label on the creamer. Lots of sugar and carbs! Quickly, I checked my blood sugar - it was 158! Twenty minutes later I checked again and it was 188! Ack!

I took two of my chromium supplement, and the blood sugar slowly began to decline, but it was still around 145 come meal time. And I was still jittery. So, I skipped lunch. Later come dinnertime I was still at 128. Had a good dinner anyway, and an hour later I was back to 144. An hour after that I was seeing 127.

I get up the next day and check, and it is 130. I am still unable to get rid of excess blood sugar and it's a reminder that I must strictly adhere to my diet. In later days I was able to get back down to near normal blood sugar levels even after meals, and maintain them.

Weight loss has tapered off almost completely, I seem to have hit a wall. I am weighing 248 now, pretty consistently - which is only a 2lb weight loss since last report on May 2nd. Not entirely unexpected, it means the "easy" to access internal fat has been burned and the much harder to get belly and butt fat is going. I have dropped four inches off my waist in the last month however, and my constipation has subsided. I am staying in ketosis, although the mg/dl levels are far less than they were before the creamer incident. Barely staying in fat burning mode and sometimes even wake up and fail to test even a trace. When before, I was always "small" to "moderate" on the test. The sudden inrush of all that sugar and carbs really screwed my program up.

Progress continues, although slowly. It's time to start an exercise regimen I think.

/report.

Pig Hip

TMH Site Tech
Reaction score
A1C is 6. Weight is 245. Cholesterol is very low both HDL and LDL. Triglycerides very low. Seeing fasting blood glucose in the mid to lower 90s which is normal. Meals only spike me to 120-130, one hour after.

I continue the regimen and the program, progress continues.

Pig Hip

TMH Site Tech
Reaction score
I won a pretty nice exercise bike for 12 bucks at a local online auction. After a little lubrication and adjustment I have been putting two miles or so on it after every meal, just to start out. Makes the blood glucose levels nosedive.

Gotta make sure not to overdo the exercise while in ketosis though.

willowtigger

Fabulous Member
Reaction score
I won a pretty nice exercise bike for 12 bucks at a local online auction. After a little lubrication and adjustment I have been putting two miles or so on it after every meal, just to start out. Makes the blood glucose levels nosedive.

Gotta make sure not to overdo the exercise while in ketosis though.
is the key thing bad then?

sorry i not smart

Pig Hip

TMH Site Tech
Reaction score
is the key thing bad then?
Ketosis isn't a bad thing, it's the only 100 percent guaranteed proof that you are burning fat. As explained in the first post of the thread. BUT...

If you have too much ketone in your bloodstream, it causes acidosis which can kill you. This is why while in dietary ketosis you MUST NOT overdo exercise. The urine testing is all-important.

Top Bottom