Friendly Reminder

Ozzy47

TMH Site Tech
Reaction score
Seems that we still have some (very few) users here that are violating one of the rules that we have in place:

Other Rules and Guidelines

• 4. Advertising: Use of the forums for commercial advertising is prohibited. If you have your own site, you may add the link to it in your signature. Do not send PM's to other members asking them to join your site
This is a no-no. It will not be tolerated.

Full Disclosure:
I have a cron running a script on the server that periodically scans the database and checks the private messages for certain keywords. If the script detects a keyword in a new private conversation message, it deletes the conversation and restricts the sender from sending or receiving any further private messages.

It will then send me a email with the offenders name, and the keyword(s) that triggered the action. That is all, it does not send me any other part of the conversation.

This was put in place due to some users on here using the private messages to poach people from here and ask them to go elsewhere.

Today the script caught its first victim, someone tried to get a member here to join another site. So the script did it’s job, deleted the conversation and restricted the user.

I’m not a fan of having to resort to this sort of thing but it is necessary. Otherwise all private messages would have to be restricted or manually monitored, which I do not and will not do either.

So please keep in mind if your intentions in a private conversation is to poach members from here, you will get caught.

Thanks for listening. 🙂

mist

Fabulous Member
Reaction score
I have a cron running a script on the server that periodically scans the database and checks the private messages for certain keywords. If the script detects a keyword in a new private conversation message, it deletes the conversation and restricts the sender from sending or receiving any further private messages.

This is awesome 😀

ZandraJoi

Motivated Member
Reaction score
I understand the need to do this. It is annoying having members join just to get members to their own forum. We need rules.

Ozzy47

TMH Site Tech
Reaction score
I understand the need to do this. It is annoying having members join just to get members to their own forum. We need rules.

Yes that is annoying, but in this case it was old members trying to poach people to their new site(s).

Top Bottom