• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

COVID-19 Vaccine

I'm a bit undecided at the moment. My friend who works at a UK university in coronavirus research has assured me about the safety of the vaccines, but I think I will personally see what regulatory bodies in other jurisdictions conclude. But on the other hand, I do want my life back as well.

Yeah, I'll get it as soon as it's my turn. I'm a priority for flu jabs (under 65 with health conditions), so I assume the categories will be slightly similar with COVID. I think I saw a ~10 step priority list somewhere, I should dig that out.

Regarding safety concerns, I put my trust in those with a brilliant track record that can't be misinterpreted (scientists in this case), and are transparent about their claims (i.e. 70-90% efficiency, if there's any potential side effects, etc). I don't give much thought to those 'other' claims (I don't think they're worthy of being called counter-claims, because there's a strange lack of evidence to all of them). Obviously this is a quicker turnaround than other vaccines, but I trust in the process. Nobody is going to release anything they weren't 100% confident in - and none of the thousands of people who have trialled them over the past 6+ months have had any dodgy side effects.

At any rate, I think Long COVID (like what my in-laws and my little 4 year old nephew have had since March and say is severely limiting their previously active lives) is a more dangerous risk than taking the vaccine - I wouldn't wish that upon anybody.

Does anybody know how long the Pfizer one (the one we're getting first in the UK) lasts? I'm guessing once you've had your 3(?)-week top-up jab it's going to be an annual affair - maybe bundled with the flu jab like they did with some of the swine/bird flus if that's possible? I suppose even if it only gives you immunity for 3 months, that might be enough to slow down the spread and restore the world.

Yeah, I'll get it as soon as it's my turn. I'm a priority for flu jabs (under 65 with health conditions), so I assume the categories will be slightly similar with COVID. I think I saw a ~10 step priority list somewhere, I should dig that out.

Regarding safety concerns, I put my trust in those with a brilliant track record that can't be misinterpreted (scientists in this case), and are transparent about their claims (i.e. 70-90% efficiency, if there's any potential side effects, etc). I don't give much thought to those 'other' claims (I don't think they're worthy of being called counter-claims, because there's a strange lack of evidence to all of them). Obviously this is a quicker turnaround than other vaccines, but I trust in the process. Nobody is going to release anything they weren't 100% confident in - and none of the thousands of people who have trialled them over the past 6+ months have had any dodgy side effects.

At any rate, I think Long COVID (like what my in-laws and my little 4 year old nephew have had since March and say is severely limiting their previously active lives) is a more dangerous risk than taking the vaccine - I wouldn't wish that upon anybody.

Does anybody know how long the Pfizer one (the one we're getting first in the UK) lasts? I'm guessing once you've had your 3(?)-week top-up jab it's going to be an annual affair - maybe bundled with the flu jab like they did with some of the swine/bird flus if that's possible? I suppose even if it only gives you immunity for 3 months, that might be enough to slow down the spread and restore the world.
I am only guessing but I think it will be given yearly like they do with the flu Jab.
I am going to have a look to see if I can find anything on that because I am curious, I will post it if I find anything.
Sooner life returns to normal the better.

To be honest, I’m frightened to get a COVID vaccine. Even though I’m supposed to get it since I’m diabetic, I‘m too scared of the side effects - if any actually exist.

To be honest, I’m frightened to get a COVID vaccine. Even though I’m supposed to get it since I’m diabetic, I‘m too scared of the side effects - if any actually exist.

Too be honest you will be fine, the worse that can happen is that you are feeling sick and have a bad headache for two days then its over. Ive had covid and I nearly died so i recommend that you get the vaccine if you can do so. There have been a lot of clinical trials and you will be fine. I know its a scary thing to go through, but im getting a vcaccine as soon as I can even though ive had it once as you are not immune for very long after having it , and I definitley dont want to go through that again

I think the only way out of this Pandemic is the Vaccine. Sorry that you nearly died @Agricola My husband's cousin is currently in hospital on a ventilator and has recently been told that she will have life long affects from it. It is more real when we know the person.

I can't wait to get the vaccine. I won't feel safe until I am immunised and even after that, I think I will still be frightened but the difference will be that I am protected to a high degree. It's no worse than the regular flu shot that millions of people have each year. All I ever get is a sore arm. I'm more than willing to put up with that.

I can't wait to get the vaccine. I won't feel safe until I am immunised and even after that, I think I will still be frightened but the difference will be that I am protected to a high degree. It's no worse than the regular flu shot that millions of people have each year. All I ever get is a sore arm. I'm more than willing to put up with that.
Yeah totally agree. I get mine on Wednesday, even though I am nervous I know it's the right thing to do.