• Hey there, welcome to Talk Mental Health – a cozy corner where we're all about mental health, wellness, and just being real. This is your spot to connect with a community that gets it, where we're all on this journey together. Whether you're navigating tough times or lending a listening ear, we've got your back. No judgment, just genuine support. Step in, take a deep breath, and let's make this a space where we lift each other up. Glad you're here!
  • While Talk Mental Health offers a platform for peer support and shared experiences, it is not a substitute for professional mental health assistance. If you find yourself in genuine danger or experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to qualified professionals. In the UK, you can contact emergency services by dialing 999. For non-emergency support, consider reaching out to organizations like Samaritans at 116 123. In the USA, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). For support in Australia, contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636. Your well-being is our priority, and seeking professional help is a crucial step towards your mental health journey.

Anxiety due to medicine?

I normally don't have anxiety and am a calm person but my thyroid hormone might be too much (I get my blood work done today) and I'm finding that at times I am anxious about things. I read that it's a sign of the thyroid medicine being off. Mostly it happens at night when I'm in bed since I'm also experiencing bad insomnia and even some night terrors.

Does anyone else have anxiety issues only due to medicine?

I found I had that with a medicine I was on after surgery on my kidney a few years back, they put me on a slightly lower dose of the medication (don't remember what it was, sorry) and it went away. I have many issues with anxiety, but when I took that I was out of my mind with anxiety, so it was extremely noticeable. I'd definitely have them adjust the levels, you shouldn't have to endure that!

I found I had that with a medicine I was on after surgery on my kidney a few years back, they put me on a slightly lower dose of the medication (don't remember what it was, sorry) and it went away. I have many issues with anxiety, but when I took that I was out of my mind with anxiety, so it was extremely noticeable. I'd definitely have them adjust the levels, you shouldn't have to endure that!

Well the bad news is I had my blood tested and my numbers are within range...the lowest end of where they want me to be and I was told that they prefer to not change meds based on symptoms. Which to me is not cool so I did a slight change already on my own and it helped a bit. I skipped one of my regular night time doses and waited 8 hours until morning to take it and I was able to sleep a little better that night and my body was calmer. Changing to mornings now will help my nighttime problems a little bit for now.

Well the bad news is I had my blood tested and my numbers are within range...the lowest end of where they want me to be and I was told that they prefer to not change meds based on symptoms. Which to me is not cool so I did a slight change already on my own and it helped a bit. I skipped one of my regular night time doses and waited 8 hours until morning to take it and I was able to sleep a little better that night and my body was calmer. Changing to mornings now will help my nighttime problems a little bit for now.
I'm glad you made that change, though it's shocking they don't want to adjust the levels given the fact it's causing such anxiety! At least you were indeed able to make that change so you can get some kind of sleep at night. I hope that side effect either wears off or stops causing such disruptions for you!

my thyroid hormone might be too much
Is it Levothyroxin by chance? I'm on that one as well and I know if the dosage is too high it can really mess you up. I take mine first thing in the morning so it doesn't mess with my sleep. No idea why they prescribe it as a bedtime med. Lipitor is the same way, they want you to take it at bedtime but i couldn't tolerate it that way. It gets taken first thing in the morning instead. Made my life tons better.

Is it Levothyroxin by chance? I'm on that one as well and I know if the dosage is too high it can really mess you up. I take mine first thing in the morning so it doesn't mess with my sleep. No idea why they prescribe it as a bedtime med. Lipitor is the same way, they want you to take it at bedtime but i couldn't tolerate it that way. It gets taken first thing in the morning instead. Made my life tons better.

YES!! It's Levothyroxine! I used to take it at 2AM because I wanted that 4 hour window on both sides where nothing else would inhibit the absorption of the medicine. After a year of doing that, I couldn't fall back asleep so I changed it to nighttime. I had no idea it would cause insomnia and my doctor didn't tell me about it either. I am now taking the pill in the morning before I get out of bed and I have been able to fall asleep in a little over an hour after getting into bed instead of waiting 3 hours now. My headaches are gone too and the calmness I'm used to feeling is starting to return. I had also taken a half dose when I should have taken a full dose and you'd think that wouldn't make a difference, but it did.

I had my blood work done and I was told that because I'm still in range (even though it's at the low point of TSH) that they won't change my dosage because they don't go by symptoms. Well, I don't recommend people do this but when I get to this point again, I'm going to take a half dose one day here or there because that's what my body needs. I have a spreadsheet of my dosages, my levels and how I feel. Pretty soon I'll be an expert at this ;)

YES!! It's Levothyroxine! I used to take it at 2AM because I wanted that 4 hour window on both sides where nothing else would inhibit the absorption of the medicine. After a year of doing that, I couldn't fall back asleep so I changed it to nighttime. I had no idea it would cause insomnia and my doctor didn't tell me about it either. I am now taking the pill in the morning before I get out of bed and I have been able to fall asleep in a little over an hour after getting into bed instead of waiting 3 hours now. My headaches are gone too and the calmness I'm used to feeling is starting to return. I had also taken a half dose when I should have taken a full dose and you'd think that wouldn't make a difference, but it did.

I had my blood work done and I was told that because I'm still in range (even though it's at the low point of TSH) that they won't change my dosage because they don't go by symptoms. Well, I don't recommend people do this but when I get to this point again, I'm going to take a half dose one day here or there because that's what my body needs. I have a spreadsheet of my dosages, my levels and how I feel. Pretty soon I'll be an expert at this ;)
Nice job! Ultimately it's up to us to manage our meds. I'm a firm believer in that. I'm five years in on these meds now.

Hope you manage to get your meds sorted soon! Sounds like you are already making progress!

My Mum takes levothryroxine and she takes her's first thing in the morning too.

I had worsened anxiety from an antidepressant I was once on (Citralopram). In addition, it gave me insomnia, lowered my appetite and my arms and legs started shaking. The worst part of that was I was already struggling to sleep and had a low appetite, so it just made things even worse! I only took it for 6 days and had to just stop taking them, but felt better from the side effects quite quickly after coming off them.

On a positive note, I'm now off all the medication I had to go on last year when my mental health got really bad! Came off the last tablet about 2 weeks ago, after having been on it a year! 🙂

Hope you manage to get your meds sorted soon! Sounds like you are already making progress!

My Mum takes levothryroxine and she takes her's first thing in the morning too.

I had worsened anxiety from an antidepressant I was once on (Citralopram). In addition, it gave me insomnia, lowered my appetite and my arms and legs started shaking. The worst part of that was I was already struggling to sleep and had a low appetite, so it just made things even worse! I only took it for 6 days and had to just stop taking them, but felt better from the side effects quite quickly after coming off them.

On a positive note, I'm now off all the medication I had to go on last year when my mental health got really bad! Came off the last tablet about 2 weeks ago, after having been on it a year! 🙂

Congratulations on being able to have your body work things out so you don't have to take meds anymore. Sometimes we have to take them (like me who has no thyroid) but there are times when our body only needs them temporarily until it can readjust itself.

Side effects can sometimes be worse than what we're trying to fix!

This is interesting I had this happen as I took a some pills for my sore throat, it was weird but it's like 5 min after I took the meds I got an attack. I have no idea what caused it but I did take the meds once again and the same thing happened and I stopped taking them.

This is interesting I had this happen as I took a some pills for my sore throat, it was weird but it's like 5 min after I took the meds I got an attack. I have no idea what caused it but I did take the meds once again and the same thing happened and I stopped taking them.

It's good you realized right away what it was! Our bodies know what we need, what we don't and sometimes it senses danger from some things that we could possibly have too much of or are allergic to and it reacts. Glad you're okay.

It's good you realized right away what it was! Our bodies know what we need, what we don't and sometimes it senses danger from some things that we could possibly have too much of or are allergic to and it reacts. Glad you're okay.
I got ok after I quit my job <3 it's the weirdest thing ever, as I am a workaholic and do a lot of works at the same time, so me getting stressed out from a job was such a strange experience. Now I am doing so much better.

Its always skeptic for me when it comes to taking medicines, but it doesn't take any side effect anymore, especially when I've settled down after taking the drugs.

I don't have any anxiety issue, but my partner has a history of anxiety. He was under medication for anxiety, however, the medication worsened her conditions.